Since winning MasterChef South Africa in 2013, Field Team member Kamini Pather has been making a name for herself as a cookbook author, television personality, and food blogger.
Behind the scenes, she's balanced the stress of her public life with running. Out on the roads and trails of Cape Town, Kamini finds solace on runs with her dog, Tuxedo, fueled by delicious snacks she packs with her. For Janji, Kamini created three recipes made for before, during, and after your runs.
Peanut butter-chocolate dates
2 Medjool dates, pitted
2 Tbsp salt- and sugar-free peanut butter
20g dark chocolate
Sprinkle Maldon salt flakes
1. Open the cavity in the date and spoon in the peanut butter. Cool in the fridge for 30minutes.
2. Before serving, using a double boiler, melt the chocolate. Dip the open side of the dates into the chocolate. Sprinkle with salt.
Mango, coconut and cardamom trail mix
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tsp coconut oil/butter
2 pods cardamom
60g dried mango, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup pistachios
1/2 cup almond flakes
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1. Heat oven to 350º F (180 C).
2. In a pot, heat the coconut sugar, water, coconut oil and cardamom pods until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and coat in the syrup. Tip into an oven proof dish and bake for 20-30 minutes.
4. Before packaging, break into shards and pack in an easy-to-transport receptacle.
Zucchini and almond pesto pasta
300g zucchini grated
150g parmesan (any hard cheese will do)
30g almonds, raw, unsalted
A handful of Swiss chard
A handful of baby spinach
1/4 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
225g dry rigatoni pasta (to be cooked according to package instructions)
50g goats milk cheese
40g sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
1. Into a blender, add the zucchini, parmesan, almond, leaves and olive oil. Blend into a thick sauce-like consistency. Taste for salt and adjust to your liking.
2. Once the pasta is cooked, (save some pasta water) toss the sauce through the pasta. Use the pasta water to loosen the sauce, if need be.
3. Serve into a transportable dish and top with goat's milk cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
SHOP THE KIT